On Sep 22, 2007, at 11:18 AM, Kevin Klues wrote:

So here'e a link to the new version of printf I'm talking about. Why
don't people try it out and let me know if they think its better.

http://sing.stanford.edu/klueska/printf_test.tar.gz

To use it just add the following line to your makefile:
CFLAGS += /path/to/printf_test

Then anywhere in your application (or underlying OS code) just add
#include "printf.h" to the top of any module to be able to and call
printf() within it.

To see output, you can then run the java PrintfClient found in
net.tinyos.tools as follows (may be different depending on your mote
platform):
java net.tinyos.tools.PrintfClient -comm serial@/dev/ttyUSB0:telosb

I think my point has been lost in the shuffle: it's not whether there should be a C function that lets you send text messages to the serial port with no wiring (albeit my comment about dependencies, and that it might be useful to incorporate it into tos.h somehow to prevent them). Rather, all I was saying is that maybe the function should not be named "printf."

Phil