Michael is correct here: the power from the USB connector U4 (about
5V) goes through a U25 which is a voltage regulator that produces
3.3V.  That voltage goes through the diode so that the USB side of the
mote is not reverse-powered when the mote runs on batteries and the
mote is disconnected from USB.

Cheers,

Rob