Sorry, you're right, atmeaga128 is little endian as well.  The reason
the network types (or more appropriate -- platform independent types)
are needed is because the msp430 expects all tw-byte variables to be
word aligned (can only start at even addresses), while the atmega
allows them to be byte aligned (i.e can start at any address).  Making
them network types allows all bytes to be packed consistently on
either platform.

Kevin

--
~Kevin