as far as I am aware 15ms could be quite normal, though it should be
slightly quicker on average? I measured a range of between 3 and 13ms
between calling .send() and getting .sendDone() back on a cc2420 (MICAz)
while sending very small packets (1 or 2 bytes payload, I forget exactly).

approx:
~1-10ms initial random backoff
~1ms for every 30 bytes sent at maximum (theoretical) rate of 240kbps

There's probably a way to adjust the backoff. LPL manages to stream repeated
sendings of the same packet at a far higher rate.

hope that helps as a starting point?

-Ben

the individual or entity to whom they are addressed and may not be divulged to
any third party without the express permission of the originator.  Any views
expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the
sender specifically states them to be the views of Thales Research & Technology
(UK) Limited.