I'll qualify the following with "For The Most Part" since
I'm not a theoretician...

All computer operations are deterministic, including (pseudo-)
random number generators, so you (FTMP) will always get the
same sequence of values from them. You can start at different
places in the sequence by using a different starting seed.
This is both good and bad, the good being that you can get
exactly the same output from a system with exactly the same
input, the bad being that you get exactly the same output...

The interesting thing about RNGs is their distribution of
values and any regularities in the sequence itself. You should
be able to find many well trodden algorithms online if the
current one is not good enough in those respects.

To get a more "random" sequence you need to use some kind
of natural input, like an open ADC or maybe the RSSI with no
active transmission. Even then one can make an argument that
the data is not Truly Random since everything carries some
notion of state...

MS

Chao Sun wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am in need of a random number generator for my tinyos project.
> However, I found that the number generated by RandomLFSR component is
> somewhat predictable. For example, it always generates the same sequence
> of 16-bit numbers. Is their any better solution? Thanks.
>
> Sincerely,
> Chao

Platform: WinXP/Cygwin
TinyOS version: 1.x, Boomerang