Hi Fernando,

When you are logged in as your user (without sudo), your user apparently
doesn't have access to the serial port. The access to the serial port
happens over a virtual file (device file), whose permissions behave the
same as for regular files. Instead of changing the serial port's
permissions, it is usually a better idea to enable serial port access
for the user. You can find out which group has access rights to the
serial port with a simple ls command "ls -l /dev/ttyS0". The group is
usually either wheel or uucp. The command to add the group to your user
might vary depending on the distribution you're using. Try the command
"sudo usermod -aG wheel <your username>" to add the group wheel to your
user (replace <your username> with your username).

I'm not that familiar with what actually happens when you use sudo. I
think it not only changes the user but also some environment variables.
Therefore it could be that it changes the PATH environment variable and
then uses a different java version (if you have multiple java versions
installed). Or it might change some other variables which java then
reads to construct its library search path.

Anyways, I suggest you give your user the rights to access the serial port.

Cheers,
Urs