Yes, that is the hexadecimal **representation** (the value, of course,
is the same).
There is no conversion. Take this, for instance:

if (255 = 0xFF) print("true"); // this will print "true", both 255
(decimal, base 10) and 0xFF (hex, base 16) represent the same value.

You only need to worry about 'converting' when going from a raw value
(e.g. what is stored in an `int' variable) to some other kind of
representation, such as a string, and vice-versa. Inside the actual
nesC code, it is in its "raw value".

You should verify what puts the values into the messages to determine
if you should use it as a signed or unsigned integer and weather or
not it is a raw reading or a value in dBm. dBm values for a typical
mote (assume 1mW max power output and no gain) should be between 0 and
-95. The actual range you will see for dBm values will be smaller and
tend towards the middle/lower side of the range.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DBm for what a dB/dBm is and how to
convert it to a linear power (dB is a logarithmic scale, like the
Richter).

HTH,
Paul