No you don't understand my "position". You will have to check
the radio chip specs to verify if the raw RSSI ouptut is
independent of supply voltage or not. I suspect the not part,
and thus made the assertion that you don't need to make
adjustments to the readings as the battery droops.

You could do an experiment with a known setup and a variable
power supply on your receiver. That would even give you a feel
for the range of variation if I am wrong, and then you could
decide if it's significantly above the noise threshold to
warrant jumping through the adjustment hoops.

You may find that the variation between devices is more significant...
And you may find that _when_ you check the battery voltage is
significant, e.g., during a transmit or not.

However if I am correct in my SWAG that the radio strength voltage
does vary in sync with battery voltage, comparing raw RSSI values
will be just as good as any post-processed values.

Anyway, good luck, and I hope you aren't trying to use this to
do mote location because it doesn't work very well.

MS