That's not quite true - sometimes you need them due to hardware
limitations. For example, in sleep mode the Atmega128 can only do edge
triggering on INT0-3; on INT4-7 it can only do level triggering.
However, the GpioInterrupt interface doesn't let you select this, so you
can't use those interrupts to wake up the device unless you use the
platform dependent HPL interrupt interface.
Michiel