> If i access the timestamp at receiver i will have only one point of
> reference to calculate the time take for the packet to travel from sender
> to receiver...wat can i do to get another reference time??
if you run FTSP, you can get both A) global time of the message transmission
(at sender) and B) global time of the message reception (at receiver) using
TimeSyncAMSend and TimeSyncPacket interfaces. however, these times will most
likely be the same, as the radio waves travel at the speed of light...

for more information, have a look at
http://www.tinyos.net/tinyos-2.x/doc/html/tep133.html

in particular, section 4.1, approach #1

> So i am accessing the local times at the application level at both the
> sender and receiver and converting it to global times to take the
> difference. is this wrong??
you'll see large, non-deterministic errors due to delays between application
layer timestamping and the times when the packet is actually
transmitted/received. mostly due to the MAC layers back-offs. have a look at
any of the recent timesync papers - they explain in detail why application
level timestamping is not good.