On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 2:39 PM, Morten Tranberg Hansen <m...@cs.au.dk> wrote:
> Oh I didn't realize you were talking about the RCV_MSG event.  Yeah the only
> unlogged event between the RCV_MSG event and a possible DST_MSG event at the
> root would be if the max payload length test fails.  I'm not sure when/if
> this test fails, but maybe it should be logged for correctness.

The test can fail if the length field gets corrupted and still passes
the CRC test. Or, if you have two versions of code (different max.
available payload size) in the network and the received packet won't
fit in the payload of the outgoing message. etc.

Even if you have DST_MSG, keep in mind that there is no guarantee that
this will be logged because the logging buffer could be full. You can
detect that by looking for missing sequence number in the logged
messages but that won't be enough either... So, if you want to be
correct in the strictest sense, you probably need to do something much
more sophisticated.

If you are really worried about this test, a better approach might be
to log when that test fails. That could be useful for understanding
other problems that might occur in the network as well.

- om_p