On Mar 7, 2011, at 2:02 AM, David wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I've started using CTP+LPL in a project (thanks for the earlier
> suggestion), and have a few questions about the network behavior when
> the basestation mote is offline/unavailable.
>
> (in this mail, I assume a very basic setup, where the motes can
> normally all reach the basestation directly over CTP).
>
> Also, I'm using the official TinyOS 2.1.1 release, installed from the deb
> files.
>
> Basically I have these queries:
>
> 1. CTP send timeout length:
>
> If you send a packet over CTP, but the basestation is off, the "sent"
> event never seems to fire (even with an error/timeout code). Or
> rather, sometimes it does, but not other times.
>
> Will the "send" eventually timeout, or will the mote eternally be in a
> "trying to send" state, without calling any event code in the app?
>
> If there is an eventual send timeout, then how long is it, and where
> can it be configured?

There will be an eventual send timeout. But it might take a long, long time.
With LPL, each packet transmission can take a while. And by default CTP can
retransmit a packet up to 32 times.

> 2. Cancelling CTP send:
>
> If for instance you're trying to send data over CTP from sensors, but
> your data is out of date (basestation off for a long time), or your
> sensor changes it's mind about wanting to send - is there a way to
> cancel an existing "in progress" send?
>
> I don't see an interface for this. Would stopping and starting the
> radio, and the collect engines achieve the same thing?
>
> (at the moment: I'm assuming that if the mote has been offline for a
> long time, that the first received packet's sensor data should be
> ignored, due to likely being very out of date).

Send has a cancel command. Take a look at the interface.

> 3. Updating the packet being sent.
>
> Alternately - if the CTP algorithm is taking a long time to send the
> packet (basestation is off for a long time), is it safe to update the
> not-yet-sent payload with newer details? (probably not safe, but just
> checking).

No. It's probably already loaded in the radio, so changing it in memory won't
matter.

> 4. Time for CTP network to re-establish.
>
> If the motes are unable to contact the basestation for a long time
> (eg: hours/days), but then later the basestation becomes available -
> then how long typically would it take for the network to re-establish,
> and for data to start coming through from the sensors?

That is a great question: we've definitely tested starting a mote fresh, but if
it was disconnected for a long time (the link was bad), it make take a while
for the link estimate to come down to a point where the node might use it. It
in part also depends on whether there are other nodes: the disconnected node
might be creating routing loops, desperately searching for a route to the root.
In that case it might take a while. This seems like a good test case to try
sometime and make sure CTP handles well.

Phil