Hi Mathew,

As you pointed RSSI is not a very accurate estimator of distance, mainly in
indoor, however, it still can be useful if you use a powerful inference
algorithm.

Time Delay of Arrival could be a much more accurate variable, but then you
need specific radios, I think the CC2420 does not allow to measure in the
range of fractions of microsecond.

You may want to review huge amount of literature on this topic...

Good luck!
Sergio