Ok, now I have a few hours over for this. My first thought is some kind of
timing issue. And this is maybe true considering that you are experiencing
the same problem but with larger packages. Maybe your mote is faster to
handle incoming packages but cant keep up when they get bigger than a
certain size. Because your mote seems to be able to reassemble smaller
packages so the code should atleast work with packages up to the same size
as you. If the problem doesn't lie with memory handling or something like
that. Ill do some test now and inform you with the results.

/Henrik