If by "open" you mean edit or view, and you are doing that
by double clicking on the file in a GUI file manager, then
it looks like the .nc file type is associated with some
other kind of document. I don't know how Ubuntu's file
manager works, but there should be some way to change
that association to be your favorite programming text
editor -- On Widows you right click and find an "Open With"
menu entry that often has an option to select a program.
Failing that you can open a shell window and try "vi [file]"
or "emacs [file]".

MS