Okay so you are on to the next problem.   Good.   Forward progress has been
made.

Learning to debug this kind of problem is a very good exercise.   It is a
skill that will last you later in your career.

Think about what you need to do next to flesh out the h/w paths you are
using.   How can you put something really simple that will test out the
functionality that you are using.

I would suggest a simple program that exercises the basic low level
functionality of the serial port.

If you look around the source tree you should be able to find stuff that is
already there.    Try TestSerial.

--
Eric B. Decker
Senior (over 50 :-) Researcher