You should search instead compression algorithms commonly used for audio
signals.  There are many algorithms and papers about it if you google'd
a little (I ported some lossy and lossless compression algorithms for
the MicaZ for my MsC thesis, there's plenty of bibliography).

Off the top of my head:
http://sites.google.com/site/cmsadler/sensys06_compress.pdf?attredirects=0

You have to do your homework :)

--Antonio.