No much idea about the printf and how to read the std output from Matlab...
But I encourage the mote2pc tutorial, MIG is great and you will find it
very easy to use. And I am sure that getting values from the serial port
with Matlab is not difficult, indeed you can convert the MIG-generated Java
classes into Matlab code very easily.

Cheers!
Sergio