Enrico:

  You will need to understand how compilers work.  A good
place to start would be a University course on compiler
construction.  Such a course might use the textbook
  "Compilers Principles, Techniques, & Tools"
  2nd edition, 2007
  by Aho, Lam, Sethi and Ullman
  Pearson Addison Wesley
or
  "modern compiler implementation in Java"
  2nd edition, 2002
  by Andrew W. Appel
  Cambridge University Press

Regards, Brad Nickerson