The modified file is the UDPEchoP.nc. There you will find the following
lines:

#ifdef TOSSIM
#ifdef RPL_ROUTING
     if (TOS_NODE_ID == SOURCE_NODE_ID) {
      if(TOS_NODE_ID == RPL_ROOT_ADDR){
        dbg ("UDPEchoP", "Root ID = %d.\n", TOS_NODE_ID);
        call RootControl.setRoot();
      }

      call UDPReceive.bind(SOURCE_NODE_PORT);
      call StatusTimer.startOneShot(1024*WAITTIME);
      route_dest.sin6_port = htons(DEST_NODE_PORT);
      inet_pton6(DEST_NODE_IP, &route_dest.sin6_addr);
      dbg("UDPEchoP","Begin with Destination Node = %X:%X:%X on Port =
%i   \n",ntohs(route_dest.sin6_addr.s6_addr16[0]),
ntohs(route_dest.sin6_addr.s6_addr16[3]),
ntohs(route_dest.sin6_addr.s6_addr16[7]), ntohs(route_dest.sin6_port));
    }
#endif
#endif

Using this lines, a UDPEcho node acts as the root node. You are not
using a PPPRouter anymore. So you can use the same application on all nodes.

The simulation (located in sim) starts this application with a scenario
defined in sim/config.py. After a defined time, the simulation is
stopped and the log output from the nodes is parsed by the evaluation
suite. This creates graphs and statistics from the simulation. So you
can test your application in huge network scenarios and evaluate for
example some timings.

Hope that helps.

Jens