Chris Green drew my attention on another list to an article in
The Guardian on yet another theory to explain Darwin's curious
set of ailments (see http://tinyurl.com/ydyommv ).

We've discussed this matter on a number of previous
occasions. The best-known theory is that his condition was
psychosomatic, brought on by anxiety associated with writing
and promoting his Godless theory. The smart money says this
theory is nonsense.

The  Guardian article is based on a report in the current
Christmas edition of the BMJ, where they traditionally publish
funny or quirky items saved up over the year (this year more
quirky than funny). The article is "Darwin's illness revisited" by
John Hayman. It's available at
http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/extract/339/dec11_2/b4968

(says extract only, but it lies)

Hayman claims the disorder from which Darwin periodically
suffered (and he really did suffer) is something called "cyclical
vomiting syndrome" which is as nasty as it sounds.

Two things strike me about Hayman's account.  First, he
reproduces from Darwin's diary a description of the early onset
of seasickness on setting sail in the Beagle. Darwin says it
caused him "great & unceasing suffering".

Hayman comments, "Darwin's seasickness was clearly more
severe than that normally experienced".  As someone who gets
sick on a ferrry ride, I can speak from experience. Darwin's
description is about what one would expect for a sailing ship in
the north Atlantic. I suspect that Hayman has himself never
experienced this charming phenomenon. He should try it.

Second, while Hayman lists and rules out a number of other
possible diagnoses,  I find it curious that he does not mention
the most recent, Campbell and Matthews (2005), published in
the sister publication of the BMJ, the Postgraduate Medical
Journal. They cover much of the same ground as Hayman in
rejecting other possibilities, but argue that the cause was
lactose intolerance.

See http://pmj.bmj.com/content/81/954/248.abstract
and click on free pdf (may possibly require free registration if
that doesn't work).

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any way to decide who's
right. Digging Darwin up might help, but who's going to approve
that, eh? I recall that the same tactic was proposed to solve
controversy over Rene Descarte's bones, and his exhumation
was initially allowed, but then later blocked by city officials.

Stephen L. Black, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology, Emeritus
Bishop's University
 e-mail:  sbl...@ubishops.ca