I'm responding here with a testimonial/account of only one, but my nephew is
allergic to milk protein.  It's a life-threatening condition.  He's 25 and
has had numerous visits to an ER if, for example, the same spatula that
flips his grilled chicken breast was used earlier for taking a cheeseburger
off the grill.  His tongue swells, his throat closes.  It's not for the
faint of heart to see.  He carries emergency medication but his symptoms are
so severe that that medication is mostly designed to keep him alive long
enough to get to a hospital.  When he was younger, my sister found that just
accidentally touching a drop of milk to his skin resulted in a huge hive.

I'd think that if Darwin had been allergic to milk protein, and not been
diagnosed because they may not have been aware of it, he wouldn't have lived
long enough to make that trip on the *Beagle.*
*
*
Beth Benoit
Granite State College