Hello everyone,
I have recently begun to read this list-serve and while I find the daily digest
hard to actually "digest" and think an online forum would be a better venue for
this set of discussions, I deeply appreciate many of the discussions i have
read.

The topic of learning styles is one in which I have had a long interest.  I was
diagnosed with dyslexia and ADHD as a kid and always had an intuitive feel that
I learned differently than others.  While I still think that is true - because
executive skill deficits make it harder for me to stay on task and and
phonological processing deficits make it harder for me to process text than
others - i dont think this is the notion of "learning style differences"
professed by proponents of this idea.  My initial enthusiasm for this idea has
succumbed to the weight of my education as a cognitive psychology / learning
sciences graduate student at UIC and I am now agnostic about whether learning
styles exist or matter.

I am in the final months of my grad program (I am procrastinating from wiring
my dissertation thesis right now) and will be teaching research methods in
Psychology for the first time and will be asking students to critique some
popular psychological myths/psudeo-psychological ideas.  I am going to ask them
to find sources from the web that support the ideas and then provide them
skeptically-leaning articles. I am thinking "learning styles" will be one of
the topics I use.

I just found this short-ish article critiquing learning styles and wanted to
share it with the list, as I am considering using it next term as the
scientific source on learning styles.

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/journals/pspi/PSPI_9_3.pdf

happy holidays,
Jordan Lippman, ABD