But for many of us - that's the problem.  Adjunct faculty are not
exptected, supported or encouraged  to do research and/or service.  Those
adjuncts who have to make a living (driving back and forth to different
campuses, prepping numerous classes) cannot do research.

Tenure track posistions are being phased out at many institutions, being
replaced with increasing numbers of adjunct positions.  This is seen by
some as a problem not only for  those adjuncts who are seeking tenure track
positions but also as a problem for future students who are increasingly
being taught by faculties made up largely of adjuncts.   How then are we to
meet individually with students, introduce them to research, etc.