Hi

On Wed, 31 Oct 2001, Payam Heidary wrote:
> Please read more carefully what I said. I am talking
> about quality of degree. Levels of educational
> achievement are up to the individual in what they
> accomplish while they are attending school.

I did read what you said.  I was very careful to mention
differences between _average_ people with various levels of
degree, and to acknowledge that there would be exceptions.  If
you do not believe that, on average, someone with more years of
schooling has acquired more knowledge and skills than someone
with lesser degrees of education, then I am not sure why you are
even motivated to be a university teacher.

 Just
> because you have a Ph.D. does not mean your OVERALL
> achievements and educational experiences are better
> than those with MA. This is why you find many people
> who hold MA degrees who are more qualified to teach
> than some Ph.D.'s because they have put in more in
> getting the MA than what the other person put in to
> get the Ph.D.

I do not care how many people you find.  There will still be a
correlation between amount of education and ability to perform
the diverse tasks demanded of a university professor.  The
requirement of a PhD for many positions in academia is _not_ some
arbitrary bias.

 It is certainly possible for someone to
> accumulate and accomplish more educationally in 2-3
> years than 4-5 years. Time you spend going to school
> or levels of degrees is not as important than the
> actual QUALITY of the degree e.g., research
> experiences, presentations, publications, grades,
> letters of recommendations, awards, etc.

Yes, some people might very well be able to learn as much and
produce as much as some people with PhDs.  But I would strongly
encourage those people to continue to the PhD, after which they
would have produced and learned exceptionally more than other
people graduating with the PhD, and they would be very
competitive for regular academic appointments that become
available.  People who stop at the MA are going to have a
difficult time competing for many positions, because they
essentially have to argue that they were able to get so much out
of the MA that they (in contrast to many other people) did not
need the extra years of education and experience to get PhDs or
hold post-docs.

Best wishes
Jim

James M. Clark                          (204) 786-9757
Department of Psychology                (204) 774-4134 Fax
University of Winnipeg                  4L05D
Winnipeg, Manitoba  R3B 2E9             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CANADA                                  http://www.uwinnipeg.ca/~clark