For Retta and those who still are not convinced with
the problem of APATHY among college students then how
do you explain the following?

1. How do you explain students constantly coming late
to class?
2. How do you explain students constantly leaving
early from class?
3. How do you explain excessive student absences "no
shows"?
4. How do you explain students SLEEPING in class?
5. How do you explain students non-participation in
class discussions?
6. How do you explain students never or rarely asking
questions in class?
7. How do you explain students not using office hours?
8. How do you explain students not showing up for
exams or quizzes "no shows."
9. How do you explain students not turning in
assignments when you give them ample time to work on
it and to seek assistance before the due date?
10. How do you explain students not taking advantage
of extra credit opportunities to earn bonus points to
increase their grades when they clearly need it?
11. How do you explain students not taking notes in
class?
12. How do you explain students not using
tape-recorders in class when you recommend it to them?

I can go on forever.......

Do you still think none of the above is attributed to
APATHY?

There is one simple answer to all this and that is
STUDENT APATHY. But I should also note that apathy is
not only a problem among college students. It is also
a problem in our society and in the general
population.

Payam Heidary