Hi

First, I am not completely against the idea that student apathy
might be greater than it once was.  But there are other
hypotheses, including global ones like students today do not have
academic values inculcated in them at lower levels.  As to
Payam's specific points, here are a couple of alternative
hypotheses.

On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Payam Heidary wrote:
> 1. How do you explain students constantly coming late
> to class?

They are coming from work and don't get out in time.  Instructors
in previous classes kept them late.  They missed the bus.  Their
car broke down. ... I could go on forever.

> 4. How do you explain students SLEEPING in class?

They are tired.  Maybe I'll stop there.

> 5. How do you explain students non-participation in
> class discussions?
> 6. How do you explain students never or rarely asking
> questions in class?

They do not find such activities rewarding.  They are not
rewarded for such activities.  They don't understand what is
going on.

> 11. How do you explain students not taking notes in
> class?

They have so far in life found that they get along quite well
studying the night before from the text.  They believe that they
will remember what they hear without the benefit of notes.

> 12. How do you explain students not using
> tape-recorders in class when you recommend it to them?

They don't have money for tapes.  They would feel
self-conscious.  Who wants to sit through a lecture more than
once, anyway?

> I can go on forever.......

No comment.

> Do you still think none of the above is attributed to
> APATHY?

No, I'm sure some and perhaps much of it could be characterized
that way.  As to how helpful that model is, I'm less sure.  Most
students would probably not be very accepting of the suggestion
that they are apathetic, and they probably aren't in other
aspects of their lives.  I always remember many years ago, trying
to teach high school English to students falling asleep in class
who would nonetheless work their butts off when I coached them in
wrestling or gymnastics.

> There is one simple answer to all this and that is
> STUDENT APATHY. But I should also note that apathy is
> not only a problem among college students. It is also
> a problem in our society and in the general
> population.

Simple answers aren't necessarily correct, nor do they always
suggest appropriate solutions, which might be quite complex.

Best wishes
Jim

James M. Clark                          (204) 786-9757
Department of Psychology                (204) 774-4134 Fax
University of Winnipeg                  4L05D
Winnipeg, Manitoba  R3B 2E9             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CANADA                                  http://www.uwinnipeg.ca/~clark