Rick Adams wrote:

> A person who sees him/her-self as not being superior to others
> does NOT go into their communities and try to convert them to his/her
> belief system in an attempt to "improve" their beliefs. That kind of
> behavior is so offensive it justifies Michael Sylvester's tirades
> against Eurocentricism--yet it is EXACTLY what both Christian and
> Islamic sects have been doing for centuries (and are STILL doing in both
> cases).
>
>       You can call it what you like--but to claim your beliefs are in
> any way superior to those of anyone else makes it impossible to claim
> that you don't feel a simultaneous sense of personal superiority (you DO
> hold those "superior" beliefs personally, don't you?) since you are
> placing your personal values at a higher level than those of others.

Touche, my friend.

You have an excellent point.

While I still say there IS a difference between portraying myself as superior
to you, versus believing my beliefs are superior to yours, I can see that it
comes out the same way.  Offensively.

It is an inevitable aspect of my beliefs.  Further, your analysis interestingly
coincides with scripture -- Christianity is a "rock of offense."

Best wishes in the here and now, and in the hereafter,
Jim

Jim Guinee, Ph.D.

Director of Training & Adjunct Professor
President, Arkansas College Counselor Association
University of Central Arkansas Counseling Center
313 Bernard Hall    Conway, AR  72035    USA
(501) 450-3138 (office)  (501) 450-3248 (fax)

"if my people, who are called by my name, will humble
themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from
their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and
will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
  2 Chronicles 7:14