>I teach at a small regional university (student population about
>7,000.  Our summer salaries have declined in recent years from
>22% of the 9-month salary to 15.5% of the 9-month salary.  Now we are
>looking at a decrease to 14% of the 9-month salary.  I am very much
>interested in obtaining information about summer salaries at other
>institutions.  Please e-mail me directly with information regarding
>the size of your institution and summer salary information.  I will
>be happy to post a summary of the information to the list in a few
>days.  Thanks for the help.
>
>Richard McKnight
>Nicholls State University
>e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>

>---
>You are currently subscribed to tips as: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Richard,
Summer salaries at NKU are 3% of 9-month base per credit hr. Thus, if
one teaches a 3 credit hr. course, it is 9%. If one teaches two
courses (3 cr. hrs. each), it is 18% of one's base. However, there is
also a dollar amount cap that cannot be exceeded and that is
generally somewhere around 18% of a high end associate prof. salary.
So, a full prof. teaching two courses would not likely receive 18% of
his/her base. Generally, most folks that wish to teach can teach one
course.  In psychology, our courses are in demand (not so for other
disciplines) and enrollment often allows our folks to teach two
courses if they wish. I don't know of anyone teaching more than two.
If your percentages are per course, they seem very generous even at
14% (less so if they include a full 12 cr. hr course load). Faculty
teaching during the summer receive only salary, no other benefits
(e.g. TIAA/CREF).  Our institution is on semester hours.

NKU is a comprehensive regional university located in the Cincinnati
metropolitan area. Our enrollment is now around 13,000.
George
--
George D. Goedel
Professor & Chairperson