On Wed, 19 Dec 2001, Mike Scoles wrote:

> I haven't commented on this, as it seems in poor taste (similar to the Mowrer
> posts a few weeks ago).

This set me off on another search, as, for the life of me, I
couldn't remenber what it was we said about Mowrer that was in
poor taste. I couldn't find anything incriminating in the TIPS
archive, but that just might mean that I have a higher threshold
for tastelessness than Mike.

But I also don't see how inquiring after the circumstances of
DiCara's death is in poor taste. It's a tragedy, yes, but it's
also history, and the fact that it's recent history makes it no
less a subject for discussion than, say, the death of La Mettrie
from overeating (ok, that's tasteless, but still...). The failure
to replicate such a prominent result as visceral conditioning and
all its ramifications are part of the history of our field. What
may be tasteless are unfounded rumours. But what we're trying to
establish through this discussion is whether there is any truth
to them.

On a related matter, in trying to find out more about this
extraordinary case, I came across a novel interpretation of it.
It seems that it was really due to Miller and DiCara performing
unconscious psychokinetic experiments. Of course. How silly of
me not to have realized that. It's all detailed in
_Parapsychology in Retrospect: My search for the Unicorn_ by R.A.
McConnell, whom I'm relieved to discover was not _that_
McConnell.

For details, check out:
http://www.ramcconnell.com/retrospect.htm

-Stephen

Stephen Black, Ph.D.                      tel: (819) 822-9600 ext 2470
Bishop's University                    e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Lennoxville, QC
J1M 1Z7
Canada     Department web page at http://www.ubishops.ca/ccc/div/soc/psy
           Check out TIPS listserv for teachers of psychology at:
           http://www.frostburg.edu/dept/psyc/southerly/tips/