Today I was talking about sleep in general psychology, which of course, lead
to dreaming.

A student reported that she had vivid dreams if she ate salad in the
evening.  Her mother and sister, did as well, but not her brother and
father.  She actually attempted to study it, by manipulating her salad to
determine if the vivid dream was affected by specific ingredients.  After
three years and various conditions, she thinks  green leafy is the key
factor.  Cabbage, lettuce, spinach will kick them in, but not other green
vegetables such as green beans.  Various PsychInfo searches produced nothing
on point, although I didn't expect to have leafy green and dreaming to
produce many research article.

This is a serious and good student.  I have no reason to believe she is
kidding around, nor am I.  Any thoughts?

There is the obvious double-blind green puree study, but I don't know if I
can get through the IRB.

tom

Thomas J. Hershberger
Professor of Psychology