"Hatcher, Joe" wrote:

> Hi Jeffrey and others,
>         I teach six courses a year; five of these are mostly fixed, while
> one is a "wild-card" course that can be anything I want it to be.  I've
> taught Peace Studies, the Psychology of Conflict, the Impact of Culture on
> Everyday Life, Prejudice, and several others.  I can't tell you how much
> this is meant to me over the years in terms of developing new interests and
> avoiding burnout.
>         On the other hand, my wife, at a nearby university, teaches the same
> three courses every semester, which seems to me to be designed to maximize
> burnout :)  I wonder how many of my colleagues fall into those two systems?

Good points and question!

Departmental and university support is necessary for one to successfully
teach non-mainstream courses on a regular basis.  Such courses provide
the faculty member a way to integrate their teaching and
research/professional interests, provides students an additional lens
towards the diversity of psychology as a discipline, encourages
non-majors to take psychology classes based on unique interests, and
helps to avoid burnout.

My department and university have been very supportive of my continuing
professional development and its impact on the courses that I teach.
This is not unique as such support and opportunities are available for
everyone in the department and all teach at least one non-mainstream
course related to their research interests.  It is certainly helpful
that we have a number of interdisciplinary programs within the
university such as a major in international human rights and minors in
women studies and multicultural studies that mesh with some of our
interests.  Thus, our courses satisfy requirements within those programs.

We teach six courses a year and these non-mainstream courses are part of
our regular load.  One can teach overloads for extra compensation if desired.

Warm regards,

Linda

--
Linda M. Woolf, Ph.D.