I teach two classes that require participation and one is in a debate
format. Students are required to present issues and the students in the
class are to ask them questions. I know that some of my students don't like
the debate format. What I tell my students is that this is a skill that
they should learn in college - just like writing, reading for content, etc.
If you ask students, most of them probably aren't really keen on the paper
writing or test taking or oral presentation or any number of things we ask
them to do - this is just another activity. Like it or not, people are not
going to be able to go through their lives never having to deal with a
confrontational person. Why not learn this skill in a relatively safe
environment (such as a classroom)?

Deb

Dr. Deborah S. Briihl
Dept. of Psychology and Counseling
Valdosta State University
Valdosta, GA 31698
(229) 333-5994
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://chiron.valdosta.edu/dbriihl/

Well I know these voices must be my soul...
Rhyme and Reason - DMB