At 12:29 PM 3/6/2002 -0500, you wrote:

> > At 10:21 AM -0500 3/6/02, Deb Briihl wrote:
>
> > "Like it or not, people are not going to be able to go through their
> >lives never having to deal with a confrontational person.
>
>Debate or discussion need not be synonomous with confrontation

No, it should not - good point. A good discussion should not be considered
a confrontation. But, in response to the question concerning that
particular student, I think that student felt that it was. My opinion on
the e-mail. And students should learn the distinction between the two.

> >Why not learn this skill in a relatively safe environment (such as a
> >classroom)?
>
>What makes you think the students think a classroom is a safe environment?

Good point. Notice I said "relatively safe environment." Just like you (and
your students) set down rules at the beginning of the semester for your
classes, so do I. For example, if students are presenting, other students
must show appropriate respect (that is, not doing other work, sleeping,
etc.). Full out negative attacks are not permitted either (so you can't
call someone else "stupid" or any other host of names you may feel about
that person) - you must focus on the issue. And I act as a moderator. If a
discussion starts getting really out of hand, I step in and try to bring it
back to the topic at hand.
Not everyone feels "safe" - as a matter of fact, I have had discussions
with students about this issue. Sometimes I can fix the problem, sometimes
I can't.

>Make it a good day.
>
>                                                        --Louis--
>

>Louis Schmier                     www.therandomthoughts.com
>Department of History             www.halcyon.com/arborhts/louis.html
>Valdosta State University
>Valdosta, GA  31698                           /~\        /\ /\
>229-333-5947                       /^\      /     \    /  /~\  \   /~\__/\
>                                  /     \__/         \/  /  /\ /~\/         \
>                           /\/\-/ /^\_____\____________/__/_______/^\
>                         -_~    /  "If you want to climb mountains,   \ /^\
>                          _ _ /      don't practice on mole hills" -    \____
>

>---
>You are currently subscribed to tips as: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Deb

Dr. Deborah S. Briihl
Dept. of Psychology and Counseling
Valdosta State University
Valdosta, GA 31698
(229) 333-5994
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://chiron.valdosta.edu/dbriihl/

Well I know these voices must be my soul...
Rhyme and Reason - DMB