Professor of Psychology, Emeritus
Albion College, Albion MI 49224
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  517/629-4834
>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 04/12/02 06:33 AM >>>
Given that JFK was assassinated in November, it's unlikely anyone would
remember watching or listening to a baseball game. I also suspect that
given
the assassination was during the week, a football game is also unlikely.
haven't heard of this example before

Gary J. Klatsky, Ph. D.

Department of Psychology                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Oswego State University (SUNY)          http://www.oswego.edu/~klatsky
7060 State Hwy 104W                     Voice: (315) 312-3474
Oswego, NY 13126                         Fax:   (315) 312-6330

 -----Original Message-----
From:   Charles Harris [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent:   Friday, April 12, 2002 2:59 AM
To:     Teaching in the Psychological Sciences
Subject:        Brooklyn Dodgers & flashbulb memory

I thought I saw all this on TIPS, but nothing shows up in a search.
Can anyone supply the correct details and source?:

   A classic illustration of "flashbulb memories" is "Where were
you when you heard that John F. Kennedy was assassinated?"
   A classic illustration of of a *false* "flashbulb memory" was
"I was at (or listening to a radio broadcast of) a Brooklyn
Dodgers game at Ebbets Field."  (The Dodgers had moved to Los
Angeles in 1957.)
   But then someone pointed out that the Brooklyn Dodgers *were*
still playing in Ebbets Field in 1963--the *football* Dodgers.
     --Charles
       Charles S. Harris, PhD        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
       webmaster, The Nurture Assumption website:
                  http://home.att.net/~xchar/tna/