I think the timing the student suggests may be about right, but the reasoning
wrong. In general I believe you'd see the most profound slowing of HR early in
the sleep cycle during non-REM sleep, not at 4 AM when the individual is more
likely to be in REM. REM is associated with more variability in HR and BP,
sometimes extreme (possible heart attacks?). There are also some cardiac
arrhythmias that specifically occur during REM (e.g. REM sleep Sinus Arrest).
And, being an asthmatic, I know that ~4 am is among the most common times for
severe asthma attacks because that's around the low point in the cortisol cycle.
Sleep apnea could also be a risk factor but I don't think apnea peaks at 4AM.

Linda Walsh
University of Northern Iowa