I'm in total agreement with Linda Woolf -- speaking of research-based content.

One of the things I looked at in choosing an abnormal text this quarter was the
treatment of psychoanalysis.  If it was treated on an equal footing with other
theories that had much more research behind them, I excluded the book from
consideration.  The text I chose addresses psychoanalysis when it's appropriate to do
so, but it doesn't devote much space to it.  My students noticed.  As one said, "It
sounds like psychoanalysis is now a footnote."  Yep.

The human sexuality textbook I used last year discussed EMDR as a viable treatment for
PTSD.  There were two sources, both conference presentations; the primary source was
from an EMDR conference.  I've chosen a different text for next quarter.  It seems
like a small thing, but this was something I knew well enough to catch.  What was in
there that I didn't catch?

In intro, by the time I'm done covering psychoanalysis, students ask, "Why are we
talking about this if there is so little evidence for it?"  Good question.  I think
it's important because of cultural beliefs -- so much of psychoanalysis has oozed its
way into our culture that I think it needs to be addressed.  But certainly the amount
of coverage could be reduced.  Especially in intro.

--
Sue Frantz          Highline Community College
Psychology          Des Moines, WA