Hi

On Mon, 2 Dec 2002, Hetzel, Rod wrote:
> I've pasted a copy of my attendance policy below.  I would like to
> switch to a policy that doesn't deduct points for being absent.  That
> seems awfully parental to me and not something that optimally prepares
> students for the adult world that awaits them after graduation.  I'm
> thinking of developing a policy that reinforces good behavior (attending
> class) rather than punishes bad behavior (skipping class).  Anyone have
> any good ideas for doing this?  I would be interested in reading your
> attendance policies if you feel inclined to share.  Looking forward to
> your responses.

Some thoughts:

1. Present material in class that cannot be obtained in other
ways.  Students sharing notes makes this not completely certain.

2. Consider including some surprise quizzes during class time.

3. Tell students that attendance has been shown to correlate with
better grades in courses, or Don't tell them and just let the
natural consequences (i.e., poorer performance) prevail.

4. Give certain percentage of marks for class participation.
Perhaps depends on type of class and size.

5. Tell yourself that university students are adults and if they
attend class and do well, then great, and if not, then too bad
for them.  My personal preference.

Best wishes
Jim

James M. Clark                          (204) 786-9757
Department of Psychology                (204) 774-4134 Fax
University of Winnipeg                  4L05D
Winnipeg, Manitoba  R3B 2E9             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CANADA                                  http://www.uwinnipeg.ca/~clark