Rod wrote:
I've pasted a copy of my attendance policy below.  I would like to switch to a policy
that doesn't deduct points for being absent.  That seems awfully parental to me and
not something that optimally prepares students for the adult world that awaits them
after graduation.  I'm thinking of developing a policy that reinforces good behavior
(attending
class) rather than punishes bad behavior (skipping class).  Anyone have any good ideas
for doing this?  I would be interested in reading your attendance policies if you feel
inclined to share.  Looking forward to your responses.

**************

Rod,
I used to be at a school where we were not allowed to have an attendance policy.
There, I used pop extra-credit quizzes.  I told students that they would never know
when there would be a quiz, but that there would be one at least once a week.  I gave
these at the very beginning of class; latecomers could not take them.  They were just
4 MC-questions and were on either the assigned reading for the day or the previous
lecture.  (I was also trying to reinforce good study techniques.)  Each quiz was worth
1 extra credit point toward the final course grade.  After taking them, students would
trade papers and we would go over them.  This also served as review of previously
covered material.  (Then, someone complained about trading papers, so I stopped that
part.)  Even though there was up to 10 points worth of extra credit to final grade, it
never worked out that I gave that much (usually, it would be 3-5 points).  And, I
never had problems with a grade distribution being too high.  Now, I am at a school
that encourages attendance policies and I have gone to a policy much like yours.
However, I am rethinking that.

Of course, you would think that if material covered in class is substantially
different from the book, that would be reinforcement enough, but it doesn't seem to
be.  Students seem more tied in to points than knowledge (which shows up as points
later on).

I look forward to hearing about other ideas.

Marcia

Marcia J. McKinley, J.D., Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Psychology
Mount St. Mary's College