We have the same issue here - any use of human participants requires IRB approval. For my course that is 15 weeks long, the students do submit their materials to the IRB and we have an exempt category. Someone from the IRB reviews the materials and the turnaround is usually about 1 week (sometimes even less). If that isn't possible (like in my 6 week summer course), I come up with an idea and run it past the IRB before the semester starts or we develop one in class during the very first week and, since everyone is doing the same project, I write it up for IRB approval.