From:   Annette Taylor, Ph. D. [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent:   Wed 2/19/2003 4:39 PM
To:     Teaching in the Psychological Sciences
Subject:        Re: IRB woes and class projects

Hi Marte:

Speaking as chair of our IRB, it would seem to me that an innocuous survey
should go under exempt status, and should have an extremely quick turn around
time! I am not sure why you would need even more than an expedited status to
your review.....check the federal guidelines at
http://ohrp.osophs.dhhs.gov/humansubjects/guidance/45CFR46.htm
and make a case to your IRB that it should be categorized as exempt by federal
guidelines, which should be good enough for a local IRB, I would think???????

annette

Quoting Marte Fallshore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Tipsters:
>
> I teach introductory research methods almost every quarter, and as part of
> the course, students design and perform an original piece of research.
> They write a full APA style paper on this research, and present the
> research in a poster session. The poster session used to be public, but
> our local IRB has decided that any research presented outside the
> classroom must go through full IRB review. Unfortunately, as we have only
> ten weeks and this is an introductory class, there is not time for
> students to go through the full review. All research is minimal risk,
> frequently involving nothing more than an innocuous survey. While students
> are nervous about the poster session prior to its start, they have a good
> time once they realize they know their stuff.
>
> I am upset that we no longer may hold these public poster sessions. Has
> anyone else encountered similar roadblocks? How have they been handled?
> Any advise would be greatly appreciated. If there is enough response, I
> will compile the responses and forward them on to TIPS, so please send
>
> Thanks,
>
> Marte Fallshore
> Department of Psychology
> Central Washington University
> Ellensburg, WA
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to tips as: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Annette Kujawski Taylor, Ph. D.
Department of Psychology
University of San Diego
5998 Alcala Park