Ah, that minor in Middle Age history helps sometimes :).
These are all mortification of the flesh and have various reasons for occurring. They were probably linked to people trying to become closer to Christ by experiencing all that he experienced (the whippings, crucifixion, the carrying of the cross). Individuals also did this to gain control over their physical bodies (the spirit is stronger kind of thing - often also seen with fasting, hair shirts), show humility, and prevent a more horrid punishment from God (such as those individuals who practiced flagellation during the time of the Black Plague) or perhaps to even gain "gifts" from higher up.
My guess is that in a group practice, the mob syndrome kicks in. Individuals who practice this also probably get a kind of "high" from it (push yourself past the pain - a sort of "second wind"). There is probably a sense of pride, as in "See what I will do for my God" (so much for humility:). Peer pressure could also play a role (see others doing it, do it yourself).

I often ask myself these questions of why people would do this for other practices. I often wondered about that mob mentality - why would you want to destroy the area of town that you live in? What about athletes that continue to play through the pain - through broken bones, torn ligaments, etc? Why do they do that? Just some thoughts.