Nope, it's alive and well (?) and still practiced in many parts of the world
by Catholics and non-Catholics alike.  Some of the practitioners who are
Catholics belong to a sect (some think of it as a cult, but I believe that's
a little extreme) called "Opus Dei."  Catholics in Spain traditionally
practice it on a certain day (during Holy Week - the week before Easter) as
part of a religious ritual, with businessmen and professionals flagellating
themselves in the street.  And some of the monasteries are known to have
some monks who still flagellate themselves.  In Mexico, also during Holy
Week, the celebration of Semana Santa takes place, with public flagellation.
(A website, not for the faint of heart:
http://www.singularjourney.com/semana_santa/semana_santa_in_taxco007.htm .)
There's a heavy emphasis on penance, less emphasis on "purging," as such.
It was even practiced at one time as an attempt to protect one from the
Black Death.

And of course many of the photographs taken recently of Shi'ites in Iraq
show them with bloodied heads, having flagellated themselves.

I'd bet there are many other groups who stilll practice it.  And from a
psychological standpoint (yes, let's get back to psychology??) I'd be
interested in exploring motivation and even personality types of
"flagellantes."  Any theories?  Histrionic?  Conformity?

Beth Benoit
University System of New Hampshire