Title: Message
My university has a policy about the format--we have guidelines that we are expected to follow (I don't, but I will be redoing our department page to conform as soon as I have time--although I like my version better than the boring University format). I have a disclaimer attached to my personal page because I express some of my views that could be misinterpreted (or maybe even correctly interpreted). I teach at a Catholic university and I wanted to be sensitive to the views of the school in general. I was NEVER asked to put that disclaimer on my page, nor do I think I would be asked to do so if I didn't do it on my own. And I don't think I have anything on my page that is offensive anyway.

At one time our school's marketing people wanted to create little blurbs about faculty as they created departmental brochures. Rather than ask individuals about what they thought best described them, the marketing people used whatever they could find. Mine read that I love bicycling and Eric Clapton--both of which are true, but certainly not how I wish to portray myself in an informational paragraph. I then wrote my own and the one developed by the marketing people was replaced.
-----Original Message-----
From: Melvyn King [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, September 19, 2003 9:24 AM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences
Subject: Off topic: Website disclaimers

Fellow tipsters,

Here is an informal and last minute survey. Our administration is up to something.

Do any of you have disclaimers on any part of your college, department, or faculty (not student) websites such as

"The page you are about to access does not necessarily reflect the vies of, nor have the contents been reviewed by, this college."

If anyone knows of such a disclaimer on a college of university site I would like to hear about it.

Mel

Melvyn King
Associate Professor of Psychology
SUNY Cortland