DeVolder Carol L wrote:

> Good response, and at the risk of disclosing my formiddable lack of knowledge of
> philosophy and philosophers, I still think Damasio's works are a good jumping-off
> point. I think your response supports my suggestion--they can ignite debate and
> discussion. What would you suggest as better sources?

Depends on what you're looking for. If you want a "jumping off point" for philosophy
of mind, I would suggest any one of a number of philosophers. Damasio is an
accomplished neuroscientist, to be sure, but his books on Descartes and on Spinoza
are, I'm afraid, not well regarded by the philosophical
community because of their many basic errors and misinterpretations.

If what you want an introduction to philosophy of mind, you might try Jaegwon Kim's
_Philosophy of Mind_, or John Searle's _Rediscovery of Mind_. If you're interested in
theories of consciousness in particular, you might try William Seager's _Theories of
Consciousness_. You won't find any of them
quite as easy-going as Damasio, but that's because they don't oversimplify to the same
degree.

Regards,
--
Christopher D. Green