From: "jpuente" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Teaching in the Psychological Sciences" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, September 20, 2003 9:44 PM
Subject: RE: Split Brain Dilemma AND automaticity

Dear Stephen,

I appreciate your thorough response to my split brain dilemna.  Your answer
gave me some ideas, as well.  When I looked back at Carlson's "Physiology of
Behavior" (6th ed., 1998), he speaks confidently of the split brain patient
being able to comprehend verbal instruction to the right hemisphere.  I
thought that, perhaps, this might not be so surprising given that neural
networks would (presumably) form in both hemispheres in response to auditory
inputs (audition goes to the hemisphere on the side that it enters, right?
Just like olfaction?). What are your thoughts on this?

In addition, I have been intrigued by the idea that we can only "know"
something (i.e. be conscious of it) when the information reaches the centers
within our brain responsible for verbal communication.  I wonder if this
can,
in some way, lend support to the idea that our conscious will is merely an
afterthought of the "clockwork mechanisms" of the brain. This is definitely
tangent to the split brain topic we started on, but I am very interested in
empirical studies of free will and automaticity.

One study that I find rather convincing in support of automaticity is
Libet's
(1985) study, in which he tests whether intentions precede brain activity to
an action or vice versa.  It's always fun discussing this one with students,
by asking them "If I were to ask you to guess whether the brain activity
that
happens when you decide to move your finger happens before or after you
"want"
to move your finger, what would you think?"  .so, anyway, perhaps the split
brain patients' abilities to know things unconsciously when the information
is
in their right hemisphere also lends support to automaticity arguments?  Do
you or any of the rest of the group have thoughts on this topic? [btw, the
reference for the Libet study: Libet (1985). Unconscious cerebral initiative
and the role of conscious will in voluntary action. Behavioral & Brain
Sciences. Vol 8(4), Dec 1985, 529-566.]

Best, JP