We are hearing, at the California Community College level of the need for student outcome measures beyond the grades that we profs give our students.  In fact we are informed that both at the state and national level, the direction is to develop measures of student performance in all the subject levels that are independent of the grades we give.  This type of work will, of course, require long hours of debate and finally agreement as to which measures are valid indications of student learning and outcomes.  I was wondering if this type of accountability measuring is, in fact, occurring in other institutions?

Mark Eastman

Diablo Valley College

Pleasant Hill, CA 94523