Hi

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003, Christopher D. Green wrote:

> jim clark wrote:
> >One mainstream psychologist who has had an interest in
> >sports imagery is Allan Paivio, now emeritus at University of
> >Western Ontario.  Below is one relevant link.
> >Sport Imagery Questionnaire, with some results
> >http://dlibrary.acu.edu.au/staffhome/stburke/su02p1.htm

> Thanks for this. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to contain a reference
> to a well-controlled experiment showing that prior imagery actually
> makes athletes perform better ("well-controlled" meaning one that
> randomly assigned subjects to conditions, used control groups to rule
> out obvious alternative explanations for any effects found, etc.).

My apologies if responding to Christopher's post gave the wrong
impression.  I was not trying to identify a definitive study (see
below for more), but simply to point Annette in at least one
direction and to observe that it was not just sports
psychologists who had worked/thought about this question.

> There must be such a study out there. Probably lots of them, right?
> Otherwise there wouldn't be such a consensus that vizualization is such
> a good thing. Can anyone out there provide us with a references to the
> "classic" studies that brought about this consensus?

I certainly agree with Christopher's implied point that people
come to believe in things despite a lack of strong evidence.
But I do not know enough about this area to say whether that is
the case here.  I do know, however, that the issues are actually
quite complex.  As the questionnaire above illustrates, imagery
can serve multiple purposes (e.g., motivational, cognitive).
Moreover, sports differ tremendously in what psychological,
physical, and cognitive skills are required.  I doubt that it is
possible to make a generic statement about imagery and "sports"
in the abstract.  As well, athletes differ widely in terms of
their experience and stage of development.  I vaguely remember
that some studies found that the effects of imagery depended on
whether the athlete was a novice or intermediate in skill level
(perhaps latter was helped more?).  Finally, this is an area
where analogue studies are likely to provide the tighter control
that Christopher is looking for, albeit with some loss of
external validity.

Best wishes
Jim

James M. Clark                          (204) 786-9757
Department of Psychology                (204) 774-4134 Fax
University of Winnipeg                  4L05D
Winnipeg, Manitoba  R3B 2E9             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CANADA                                  http://www.uwinnipeg.ca/~clark