Hi

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, Cheri Budzynski wrote:
> We had a discussion on our Human Subjects Review Board about the ethics
> of obtaining information on a survey that is not pertinent to the study.
> One person argued that it was a design issue and we should not be asking
> people to remove questions from their surveys (the debate was related to
> questions about race/ethnicity and gender). I thought that this
> information was only appropriate if the study specifically addressed
> issues of gender or race/ethnicity and that questions not pertinent to
> the study should not be included. I am pretty sure that this is an
> ethical guideline to which psychologists adhere. Can anyone recommend a
> website or document that specifically addresses ethic in survey
> construction/research?

I won't answer from an ethics perspectives, but this is not a
healthy attitude from a scientific perspective.  (1) It virtually
eliminates the possibility of serendipitous findings involving
variables not explicitly identified as target variables.  (2) It
makes it impossible to describe completely the participants in
the study (e.g., #males/females, # of different ethnic
backgrounds).  (3) Related to 2, it precludes many kinds of
meta-analyses that might be performed to explicate discrepancies
across studies.  I would actually think that science would
benefit from an almost completely standardized collection of
demographic information about participants in studies.

Best wishes
Jim

James M. Clark                          (204) 786-9757
Department of Psychology                (204) 774-4134 Fax
University of Winnipeg                  4L05D
Winnipeg, Manitoba  R3B 2E9             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CANADA                                  http://www.uwinnipeg.ca/~clark