I just sent the message below. I should have talked with the DSS director first, b/c
he says he may have suggested the student ask me about using notes, but that he would
not suggest it as an accomodation. I think it says a lot about our pc times that we
(at least some of us) believed that DSS would make that suggestion. I do still wonder
what others think of someone with that sort of brain disorder being in college in the
first place. Are we doing him a service or should he be getting some other training?

Marte Fallshore

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 11/13/03 10:27AM >>>
Fellow Tipsters:

Earlier this quarter, I had a student come to me and tell me that he was working with
disabilities support services (DSS) because he has limited short-term memory. My first
thought was, "college is gonna be really hard for you". I also admire his persistence
and willingness to try. However, yesterday he came to me and asked to be able to use
his notes during tests, something no one else is allowed to do. This request was
supposedly instigated by the director of DSS. This is an intro psych class, and I use
multiple-choice tests as it is a large class. Has anyone else ever run into this type
of issue? How did you handle it? Not to sound like an intellectual snob, but it seems
to me college may not be the best place for a student with this type of brain injury.
Thanks in advance for the thoughtful responses I expect to get,

Marte Fallshore

Marte Fallshore
Department of Psychology
Room 462
Central Washington University
Ellensburg, WA 98926-7575

509/963-3670
509/963-2307 (fax)

I teach for free; they pay me to grade. (anon)